Never again hear “I can’t afford it” on your discovery calls!
It’s actually a lot easier than you might think, and by mastering these 6 steps I completely stopped hearing I can’t afford it and rocketed my conversion rate, from a measly 10%, to almost 70% in under 12 months and, more recently, to over 95%!
And it’s a whole lot easier than you might think, with these 6 steps.
1. Lose the scarcity mindset – it seems basic, but it’s true. If you’re constantly worrying that no one will ever be able to afford you, that you MUST sign THIS client (in case there are no more coming) every time you get on a call, or that you might not be able to pay your credit card this month, then you will find it impossible to attract great quality prospects and powerfully lead sales conversations. So, start paying attention to the scarcity in your thoughts and language, and instead start looking for evidence and speaking and thinking of abundance every day.
2. Be clear in your offer – there’s nothing that will lead you to an I can’t afford it quicker than a weak offer. If the results you help clients get are not crystal clear and completely tangible, then you’ll either get stuck with the I can’t afford it crowd or you’ll fail to book calls altogether. So, consider the results you help clients get and make sure they are completely tangible, i.e. new job, deep connection with their partner, managing food sensitivities, healing a relationship, and so on, rather than a better mindset, more confidence, happiness, fulfilment, self-esteem, good health, etc.
3. Create powerful messaging – sharing your personal stories through posts and emails that powerfully demonstrate your expertise, while speaking clearly to your perfect client’s greatest desires and biggest challenges, is the only way to attract prospective clients who are ready to take action. So, check your messaging and ask yourself, “Am I powerfully demonstrating? Or am I trying to convince those who aren’t ready in my messaging?” If you find yourself using phrases like “You need to...͟”, “You should”, or your message sounds overly demanding, chances are you’re going to convince the I can’t afford it crowd to get on the phone with you, while the I’m ready now peeps will be repelled by the desperation in your message.
4. Show up consistently – remember that no single person will see all of your posts and emails, so make sure you show up every day and that your messaging is consistently on the same subject – your offer. That way, your audience will get used to you showing up and will start to see you as both an expert and a reliable woman of integrity, who always shows up and always delivers value on her area of expertise. So, ask yourself, are you showing up daily, and is your message always on point? If the answer to either question is no, do something about it. Pronto!
5. Make awesome offers – remember, powerful messaging needs to include regular offers, otherwise no one will ever get on the phone with you. I like to create awesome, no-brainer offers to get my perfect clients-to-be on the phone, so that I can quickly assess whether they’re a great fit for my coaching, before spending an hour on a discovery call. Also, I find that delivering great value, on a super-short, free coaching call, makes it much easier to upsell the discovery call AND sign the client.
6. Lead powerful discovery calls – make your discovery call process all about the client. There’s nothing more off-putting than a coach who doesn’t lead the call, who doesn’t hold space when things get messy, and who doesn’t challenge the client to overcome their limited thinking and self-sabotage – particularly when it comes to making the investment. So, suspend your own concerns about signing the client, and instead put all of your focus into helping that client step into their power by working with you. And, yes, that includes learning how to close the sale with powerful conversations about how they can come up with the money, how they can find the time, or how they can handle the judgement of their spouse. And that’s ok. Because, in that moment, that’s exactly what they need from you. And as a result of leading super powerful discovery calls, not only do I sign lots of lovely clients, but those clients even go so far as to thank me for helping them to invest tens of thousands of dollars in themselves :D
So, I wonder, what could you achieve if you mastered these 6 steps in your coaching business?
JO DAVIDSON IS THE CLIENT CREATION COACH, A FIERCE AND DYNAMIC FORCE FOR WOMEN WHO ARE READY TO CHANGE THE WORLD WITH THEIR COACHING AND PROSPER IN THEIR BUSINESSES.
CONNECT WITH JO TODAY, IN THE FEARLESS WOMEN'S CIRCLE, TO CATCH HER FREE LIVE TRAINING VIDEOS AND GET SUPPORT AND GUIDANCE TO BUILD YOUR COACHING BIZ, THE EASY WAY.